Tonight I am going to a rather formal, rather large birthday party charity event. I was very excited!
So yesterday I went to my closet to get out a beautiful black dress that I only ever wore one time. You know the dress. It makes you look and feel wonderful. The perfect dress that you looked for for years - then found it felt even better when you wore it.
Well I got it out, and to my horror, there were some dirt marks on it.
I had put the dress away last year WITHOUT CLEANING IT.
I know why I did this:
- it looked clean
- I only wore it one evening
- and dry - cleaning is expensive.
The thing is, I know better. I work in drycleaning. If anyone wants their clothes to last - they need to clean them before storing:
- Soils left in material attract insects that can damage material.
- soils left in material oxidize over time and become more noticeable and harder to remove.
- soils left in material can pull color over time.
The moral of the story: Clean your clothes before putting them away for storage!